This simple recipe requires a sourdough starter. It’s also a recipe that I found on the internet and tweaked for my own tastes and preferences. Given the eating habits of those in my home, I have made sure that this recipe is vegan.
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cup for solids
- Measuring cup for liquids
- Mixing spoon
Ingredients for Vegan Sourdough Pizza Crust
I’ve included the measurements in grams because I recently picked up a kitchen scale. It measures in grams, so I thought it’d be fun to include that way to measure out the ingredients.
- 1 cup of sourdough starter (240 grams)
- 1/2 cup of warm water (118 grams)
- 2 and a 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (300 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt (6 grams)
The initial dough mixing takes about 15 minutes. Moving the risen dough to a pan takes another 10-12 minutes. Adding the toppings to the pizza can take up to 5 minutes or so. Finally, cooking time is between 8 and 15 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
- Place the dough onto a floured countertop and knead for 8 to 10 minutes. (Having a dough cutter to help move the dough around is helpful as sourdough is typically a stickier dough.)
- Place the kneaded dough in a greased bowl and cover loosely with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap.
- Allow the dough to rest in the bowl for 2 to 4 hours – until it doubles in size.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and place it on the counter. Divide the dough in half and shape each piece into 2 round disks – about 10 inches in diameter.
- Place the shaped dough onto a lightly oiled cast iron skillet or pan.
- Cover and let rest for 30 to 60 minutes – or until the dough rises to your preferred thickness.
- While the dough is resting and rising, preheat the oven to 500°F.
- When the dough is done rising, and the oven is at the right temperature, add your preferred toppings and sauce.
- Place the cast iron pan into the oven to cook. Cook the pizza for 8-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the dough.