I like to read but as I’m easily distracted by digital devices, I struggle to make time to read as often as I should or I’d like to do.
The following books are in my stack of books that I am actively reading. The first few are the ones which I most regularly dedicate time to read.
- The Divine Comedy (The Inferno, The Purgatorio, and The Paradiso) – Dante | John Ciardi (translator)
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings – Maya Angelou
- Mankiller: A Chief and Her People – Wilma Mankiller
- Mere Christianity – C.S. Lewis
- How to Talk So Teens Will Listen and Listen So Teens Will Talk – Adele Faber
- Down Girl: The Logic of Misogyny – Kate Manne
The dates in parentheses note when I finished reading the book. That information is mostly for my own future reference.
- Nasty, Brutish, and Short: Adventures in Philosophy with My Kids – Scott Hershovitz (Jan 2023)
- Dreyer’s English – Benjamin Dreyer
- Stolen Focus – Johann Hari (May 2022)
- A Practice of the Presence of God – Brother Lawrence (February 2022)
- Prostate Cancer Strikes: Navigating the Storm – Gogs Gagnon (January 2022)
- Quest for Community: Tomorrow’s Parish Today – Dennis J. Geaney, OSA (September 2021)
- Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life – Richard Rohr (August 2021)
- The Prostate Monologues – Jack McCallum (June 2021)
- Learning to Pray – James Martin, SJ (July 2021)
- The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse – Charlie Mackesy (April 2021)
- The Spy who Came in from the Cold – John le Carré (March 2021)
- The Book of Job
- White Rage – Dr. Carol Anderson (early 2021)
- Catholicism in a Time of Coronavirus – Dr. Stephen Bullivant (May 2020)
- The Great Divorce – C.S. Lewis (May 2020)
- The Dog Who Took Me Up a Mountain: How Emme the Australian Terrier Changed My Life When I Needed It Most – Rick Crandall and Joe Cosgriff (April 2020)
- Mystics & Miracles: True Stories of Lived Touched by God – Bert Ghezzi (March 2020)
- How to Listen So People Will Talk – Becky Harling (February 2020)
- Stamped from the Beginning – Dr. Ibram X. Kendi (October 2019)
- Jesus and the Jewish Roots of Mary: Unveiling the Mother of the Messiah – Brant Pitre (July 2019)
- Becoming – Michelle Obama (February 2019)
- The Ignatian Adventure – Kevin O’Brien, SJ (May 2019)
- The Underground Railroad – Colson Whitehead (2018)
- Forward: A Memoir – Abby Wombach (February 2018)
Favorite Recent Books
Recent is a relative word here. I read Awareness in 2016 or so. Building a Bridge was a 2018 read.
- Awareness – Anthony De Mello
- Building a Bridge – James Martin, SJ
- Stamped from the Beginning – Ibram X. Kendi
- A Practice of the Presence of God – Brother Lawrence
The following is a list of books that I deliberately chose to stop reading for one reason or another.
- Tragic Sense of Life – Miguel de Unamuno
The “To Read” List
On Twitter, I often ask folks to share with me what they are reading. When a recommendation catches my attention, I add it to the list below.
Contains affiliate links.