For me, late spring and early summer is the best time to break out my strawberry rhubarb pie recipe. The strawberries are red, ripe, and delicious. And the grocery store seems to carry rhubarb too at this time of year. (I know almost nothing about rhubarb, except that the leaves are poisonous to humans. See below for more on that.)
This Recipe Makes
A single, and delicious, strawberry rhubarb pie.
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Pairing knife (for preparing the strawberries)
- Chopping knife (for chopping the rhubarb)
- Cutting board
- Pre-made pie crust – which I almost always bake in a cast iron pan
Ingredients for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Recipe
- Two pints of fresh strawberries
- 1 cup of freshly chopped rhubarb (I’ve made this recipe with as few as two stalks of rhubarb and it still works great)
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of white flour
Total time is about 20 minutes. Chopping the strawberries and the rhubarb takes the most time, maybe 15 minutes or so. The mixing of all the ingredients takes less than 5 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400º F.
- Wash both the strawberries and the rhubarb.
- Remove the green tops of the strawberries and slice them in a small, easily eaten pieces.
- Remove the leaves from the rhubarb as they are poisonous. (Yeah, I know, right?)
- Chop the rhubarb into small pieces, more or less the same size that you might chop celery for including in tuna salad.
- Place the strawberries and the rhubarb into a large mixing bowl, stirring them about to ensure that the two are equally interspersed.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, combine and mix the sugar and flour.
- Pour the combined sugar and flour over the strawberries and rhubarb, mixing it up until the sugar and flour disappear in the juice of the strawberries.
- Pour all of the ingredients into the pie crust.
- Cover the pie filling with either a lattice or full crust.
- Place the pie into the oven, cooking for 35 – 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
Want More Cast Iron?
- You can check out my post about the best all-around cast iron pan.
- Make a sausage and egg breakfast sandwich is a cute little cast iron pan.
- Learn all about cleaning cast iron pans.
- Check out my cast iron pan starter kit.
- Peruse all of the articles in the Cast Iron category.
Contains affiliate links.